5. Pizza muffins
And to finish – who says muffins have to be sweet? My toddler’s favourite muffins ever are probably these pizza ones. Super healthy and very handy to have out and about with you. What’s not to love?!
For this recipe as well as the basics, you’ll need: 18 cherry tomatoes, 3 tablespoons tomato puree (unsalted if you can find it), 75g ricotta or mozzarella cheese, 75 cooked and chopped spinach or kale, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 2 teaspoons dried oregano.
- Preheat your fan oven to 180 C
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, garlic and oregano. You can add 1/2 teaspoon salt too if you like.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, butter, tomato puree, and beaten eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and fold until just combined. Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters and then fold them into the mixture along with the spinach/kale.
- Spoon even amounts into your muffin tray. Tear the cheese into small pieces and place a piece on each muffin, pushing down slightly (this should give you a gooey centre).
Bake for 25 minutes (large muffins) or 15-18 minutes (mini muffins) – or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
Note – if this sounds too complicated, just do tomato and cheddar cheese muffins! Also delicious. And if you add in one chopped, fried, onion – you’ll get an extra layer of tasty flavour.